Monday, February 25, 2013

I'm BAAAAAAACK... again - Hylocereus

Hey Everyone,

Yes I do still exist... I think.  The world is being swept away in a tidal wave of lack of sleep, mountainous amounts of homework and assignments, which is all crammed in between the fleeting moments in the garden that keep me going, and my soul happy throughout the weeks when I stuck at school, a cement jungle, surrounded by jostling people, and the smell of smog and traffic... BLURGH! I long for the lazy afternoons in the sun, with my hands in the dirt, or the nights like tonight when it's raining and the frogs all around are serenading me to sleep.  It's this that makes me happy.

School has been ridiculously busy with heaps of assignments and homework and it is for this reason that I haven't been able to post for a month now.  I can honestly say that I've missed it terribly and I'm hoping to be able to get back into the swing of things.

At home everythings been busy, busy, busy.  There has sadly been deaths (the chooks), there's been snake bites at night, flooding water, falling trees and all manner of other nasty things.  But at the same time there's been wonderful things: new members of the family (new chooks), the promise of new life this weekend *fingers crossed*, as well and flowering plants, new discoveries and downright lovely weather... though I seem the be the only one that sees it that way - I'm starting to think I'm more plant than human: it rains which makes plants happy and everyone else (but me) sad, it makes me as happy as a lark.

Well, I'd best stop eluding to things, and tell you all about some happenings.  I'll of course be filling in the details over the next week or so, and then things will hopefully go back to the natural swing of things.  I may even try to devote a whole afternoon and night to writing blog posts so that if I don't have time one day then I can just post a pre-written one.  What do you think?

Anyways, one of my stories,

After the massive storm (Ex-Tropical Cyclone Oswald to be precise) we were cleaning up after one of the MASSIVE trees fell down and lo and behold my Hylocereus (Midnight Cactus) had buds on it and it was going to be the first time I'd ever seen one in really life.  Well, in the ensueing fortnight I would go out there every night and check to see if the flowers had opened or not.  It was my first time so my judgement on opening time wasn't very good.  Well, one afternoon I was walking past and I went weak at the knees because one of the flowers had opened, it was 2 metres off the ground so I quickly dashed to get the ladder, then after being eaten alive I hid in the house for several hours until the bloom had completely opened.  Then, camera in hand, I went out and inspected/photo-ed the living beejeesus out of that flower.  It was absolutely exquisite and amazing.  Now I shortlisted the photos and here they are.

I normally detest having my photo taken, but this time I allowed it, and beware, I do not have a tiny head, that is just one big-ass flower.

Now, I really must be off to bed, I've got school in the morning :(, but I'm learn-ed-ing stuff so then one day I might be able to work in heaven itself... though many of you know it as the Royal Botanic Gardens at Kew ;-) .

Well, I'm off,

Happy Gardening Everyone,



  1. Superb flower! Sorry about the storms and all the havoc it created.

  2. Hey Michael, you're not the only one that loves the rain. I must be part plant too....and I love that flower. It's incredible.

  3. My favorite flower and quite worth the wait!!..


Hi, I'd love it if you'd make a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think and all comments are read, and replied to, to the best of my ability at the time.

Happy Gardening :)