Friday, August 24, 2012

My Paphiopedilum hirsutissimum var. esquirolei is in spike YAY

Hey everyone,

it seems to be the time of year that my Paphiopedilum hirsutissimum var. esquirolei feels like flowering J my mum bought this lovely large Paph. from a nursery around this time last year and it had on it 5 beautiful blooms and i am really looking forward to seeing them again this year, at last count it had 5 BUDS coming on it...... I do love specimen plants <3 

this is what the flowers looked like last year


and then this is a close up of the centre of the flower



This beautiful species is from Northern Thailand, Northern Vietnam and Southern China.  It is an epiphytic species generally found at altitudes of 800 to 1800 meters it’s a lovely plant to look at too because it has pale green leaves and it blooms in spring, hence its spikes making an appearance now, and hopefully it’ll be open in time for my societies spring show.  It is a cool to warm growing plant too which means that it can enjoy the shade house all year round with temperatures down to 1°c this year…. I must admit I was worried for a while but it’s a tough little guy.

With some help from a friend of mine I’m going to repot this beauty into a mixture of  1/3 Small Bark, 1/3 Jumbo Perlite and 1/3 Small Coconut Husk Chips. The reason why I’m getting a hand with it is that I haven’t had all too much experience with repotting Paphs, and I definitely don’t want to make a mistake, so I figure if I learn it from the best at the beginning then it should hold me in good stead …… plus I might learn a tip or trick J 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, I'd love it if you'd make a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think and all comments are read, and replied to, to the best of my ability at the time.

Happy Gardening :)