Thursday, October 11, 2012

Morning Mumbles

Hey Everyone,
I thought I’d write part of my blog post while I was waiting at the bus stop this morning.  It’s a lovely bus stop with plenty of trees, not much traffic and it has a creek running under the road and through the surrounding bush land/parkland on either side of the road, just for added interest.  This morning the smells are amazing, it rained last night so the eucalyptus oil in the leaves that cover the ground beneath the big old ghost gums has filled the air with their lovely smell.  Dancing through the air with the eucalyptus oil is the glorious smell of warm, moist earth that contains plenty of organic matter.  Now some of you may think I'm crazy for liking the smell of “wet dirt” but no doubt there must be at least one person out there that understands the beauty of the smell too.




















I must say, to me the bus ride into school this morning is far better than yesterday.  I think it might be to do with the rain, maybe its because of what I associate with rain (green lawns, happy plants, spending the weekends in the glorious sunshine mowing the lawns, then getting to see the amazing look of it afterwards, and many, many other things), or maybe its because the rain seems to enhance all of the colours, the greens are greener, the browns are browner and the world just generally looks like someone has hit the “enhance” button.

Due to the overcast weather I saw a very rare treat today.  This is a Midnight Cactus (Epiphyllum) on the way into school and normally I only ever get to see the dead flowers on it, however due to the extended darkness due to the overcast weather it had 4 flowers still open on it.  From what I could see it look beautiful.  I’ve never seen an epiphyllum flower in real life before so I’m really excited that I got to see one just then.  I just wish the bus wasn’t going so fast so I could have seen it for longer and it would have been cooler if it wasn’t on the other side of a 4 lane road… oh well, one day I shall see one up close J


rain clouds above the city, and behind that the clouds are climbing Mt Coottha, where the brisbane Botanic Gardens are :)  took the photo at school today on my iPhone, look at how dark it was

the water droplets on a Bottle Brush, taken on my iPhone at school, i had to be really sneaky so i didn't get it confiscated.

my contribution to the art show :)
Well, that was what I wrote to entertain myself on the bus this morning, and because I was helping set up the art show at school this evening and have therefore been at school for 12 hours (BLURGH) I’m tired so I’m going to bed… night night.

Happy Gardening

Michael







2 comments:

  1. Hi to you Michael from Canada. I too like the smell of damp earth. I think it something we gardeners all come to appreciate. What a treat to see a night blooming flower on your bus ride to school. Hopefully, you will get a closer look next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer,
      see, i knew there would be someone else out there, and yes, i would have to agree that its a gardening thing :)

      it was really cool, i'm constantly seeing cool things like that, i think its just a matter of being at the right place at the right time

      and i think next time if i'm not running late i might get off at that stop and get a closer look and just get on the next bus :)

      Delete

Hi, I'd love it if you'd make a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think and all comments are read, and replied to, to the best of my ability at the time.

Happy Gardening :)